Founded in 2014 by Ken Lewis, a Kentucky liquor retailer, and entrepreneur, New Riff crafts a range of whiskies with a focus on Bourbon and Rye as well as Kentucky Wild Gin. Independently and family-owned, the freedom from outside pressures and interests has allowed New Riff to set meaningful standards of quality, distinguishing them amongst the ranks of Kentucky Sour Mash Whiskey distilleries. Although some of their practices are not necessarily new to the world of whiskey, it is unusual to find a distillery adhering simultaneously to so many traditional methods and with such attention to detail. Sourcing non-GMO grains, using mineral-rich water from an aquifer below the distillery, allowing slow and open fermentation, distilling in copper only, and leaning heavily upon the strict stipulations of Bottled-in-Bond production, New Riff cuts no corners. Therefore, it’s no surprise that the accolades for this small distillery continue to grow.
- Straight Malted Rye Whiskey distilled at New Riff in Newport, KY
- Bottled in Bond; Aged a minimum of 6 years
- Distilled from 100% malted rye grain
- Non-chill filtered: 50% ABV
- At 6 years old, this is the oldest New Riff Whiskey yet to be released.
- Powdered sugar, tempered oak, plum skin and pear on the nose precede a plump palate of saltwater taffy, clove, and compelling notes of malt. The refined finish displays focused baking spice and pink peppercorn. This is not your everyday rye.
- From New Riff: “Malted rye is a rye grain that has undergone the process of malting, a controlled germination and drying process. When you malt a grain, you alter, and arguably, improve and refine its flavor. That’s exactly what’s happened here, as the typically spicy flavor of rye becomes polished, refined, and subtle.”
- Bottle Size750
- DistilleryNew Riff
- StyleRye Whiskey
- Country of OriginUnited States
- Cask StrengthNo