Founded in 2017 by the respected Shochu distillery Komasa Jyozo and situated along Fukiagehama Beach (the longest sand beach in Japan) in Kagoshima Prefecture. Konosuke is inspired by the idyllic views and fragrant sea breeze of the East China Sea. Founder, Yoshitsugu Komasa, strives to craft whisky equally as relaxing, leading to the distillery’s motto “Mellow Land, Mellow Whisky.”
Named for second-generation distiller Kanosuke Kosama, Kanosuke Distillery became operational in 2018, employing three Miyake copper pot stills, all with differing neck shapes and lyne arm angles that allow endless variation for layering and blending complex distillates. Though the sea along this dune-draped coast is calm in the summertime, fierce winter winds create unique climate variations within the prefecture’s subtropical climate. Drastic seasonal temperature fluctuations form ideal whisky maturation conditions and the proximity to the coastal sea spray imbues these aging sticks with minerality and salinity.
The first release was in 2021.
This release is a blend of 180 barrels: 100 Kozurua rice schochu barrels, 50 ex-bourbon barrels, and 30 Oloroso sherry casks.
- Aged minimum 3 years in a combination of re-charred Mellowed Kozuru rice shochu American oak casks, Oloroso sherry casks, and ex-bourbon casks
- No coloring or other additives
- Brand Tasting Notes: Aromas of grated cinnamon bark and ripe plum transition to a robust palate of coffee, vanilla, and spicy oak with an assertive finish of black tea and clover honey
- Limited 3,000 bottle US release
- Non-chill filtered; bottled at cask strength of 59% ABV
- Bottle Size700
- StyleSingle Malt Whisky
- Year Bottled2022
- Country of OriginJapan
- Cask StrengthYes
- Cask TypeSchochu Casks